A quick and easy salad to throw together, perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 1 hour +
Serves: 2 Meals ( or 4 side salads)
1x 420g can of mixed beans
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 tsp of: garlic powder, paprika, ground coriander seed, and cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
1/2 cup spinach, sliced thinly
2 kale leaves, ribbed and sliced thinly
1/2 carrot, diced finely
1/2 cup corn kernels
1 celery stalk, cut into half moons
1/4 cucumber, diced
1 large mint leaf, thinly sliced
4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 tsp coriander leaves, diced finely
1 shallot stalk, thinly sliced
1 date, diced finely
1 Tbs cranberries, diced finely
6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 walnuts, cut into smaller pieces
1 Tbs pepitas (these can be put in raw or toasted)
1 Tbs coconut aminos
1/2 Tbs lime juice
1. Cook the quinoa over low heat in a saucepan (1 part quinoa to 2 parts of water) for 10 – 15 minutes (or until the quinoa has been cooked).
2. Drain and rinse the mixed beans and add them to a separate saucepan with the spices (paprika, ground coriander seed, cumin, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder) and salt with 1/4 cup of water. Cook over a low heat for 7-10 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and cook for another 3 minutes to reduce the liquid.
3. Transfer the beans and quinoa to a bowl, stir to combine then set aside to cool.
4. Mix all the vegetables together with the herbs, fruit, and nuts.
5. Once the quinoa and beans have cooled for a little while (about 20 – 30 minutes). Mix the vegetable mixture with the bean and quinoa mixture. Refrigerate for at least an hour until the salad has chilled.
6. Serve the salad in two bowls. Combine the coconut aminos and lime juice to make the dressing, then drizzle over the salad.